Monday, July 15, 2019

The Politician



The Politician

They call it Democracy
Government of the people
By the People
For the people

Democracy
The right of the people
To choose




Haa ...
But I know better
How can they?
When we have the maggye?! 
I will buy you a kilogram of sugar
and your choice meat
Regardless of the fact
That you are way richer 

But you like freebies don't you?
A piece of bread here
A tee-shirt there
Jiggly coins to take to Nnalongo's
Or to your fancy dance floor
To impress the adolescent girls
Quid pro Quo

Yes
I know what you want
A boda-boda here
A 3 bed-roomed house there
A flight to Dubai here
A sack of Benjamins there
You are like the dog
That licks its own blood in greed
Thinking it got lucky


You call it democracy
I call it deMOCKracy
For I use your own money
To impress you
I drain your hard earned taxes
And laugh as you fight over ‘my’ handouts

Yes 
I swindled it to dazzle you
So gaze
At my skyscrapers
My fancy hotels
My Bentley and Mercedes
My trophy wife and yacht
Yet they all actually belong to you

Stupid voter
I giggle as you wait in line to vote
It doesn't matter really
Whether my policies will work or not
The press is in my hands
They will show you what I want you to see

Yes
Everything is working well
The roads
The health centres
The Schools
The Statistics
I make those too!



So why not vote for me again
and again
ad infinitum

Truth be told I don't need this facade
But the donors,
Those 'partners in development' 
They should see that all is well
Lest they send less than I need
To keep you blinded by this bluff

In my insomnia
I often wonder
When will you realise
That power actually belongs to you
And that it is DEMOcracy
Not a mockcracy

Adieu
until the next election
Eat the dust of my four wheeler

...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try to respond to it as soon as possible.