Saturday, July 13, 2019

That Cough!!



Somewhere in the airport. I sit in the waiting lounge awaiting my flight. There is someone coughing from the distance. It is that kind of unrestrained, uncaring, unconcerned cough. The one that is produced when one stands in one place and lets it go from the belly out. Regardless of who is listening or watching. It is a free cough. The man comes closer. He pauses each time to let it out. Yes, it is a chilly morning. Yes, he has no warm clothing. Yes, he is human enough to cough

Nayyeeee….

This cough says a lot. It says I am un-cultured. It says Mom and Dad did not raise me well enough to restrain and represent them. It says I come from a certain country or region X. It says my country cares less about my cough. It says I represent my country and this is what we do. It says we guys from this country give no hoot about what you think.

This scene reminds me of one that is common in my house. One of my babies tends to cough with reckless abandon. I often tell this child (sex undisclosed) that this kind of recklessness reminds of a wild animal from the plains. One that roams free and unrestrained. The cough is like the roar of the lion. It cares not who is listening or watching. It destroys all that is in its wake like a tornado. It says I am rough; I am un polished. I am uncultured. I am cough. How I wish my baby was with me as we were being punished by the onslaught of the cough in the airport lobby. As the cougher approached, many of us were uncomfortable with this. We looked at each other and shook our heads in disbelief.

Often times we don’t realise what our actions say about us. The duty of parents here is clear. Do we as parents share our concerns with our children in a way that helps them learn? Yes, at some point it was fashionable to be hippies. That time seems to have moved on now. Our behaviour says more about us than we are willing to admit.  Our diction reveals the books we are reading. The demeanour and dress reveal who is inspiring us. Our cough – yes might reveal how many times Dad or Mom spoke to you when you let it out or whether you were that wild goat roaming in the bushes and caring less whether you left a mess in your wake#

What does your cough say about you?

06.17a.m.
30.06.2019

2 comments:

  1. This cough says a lot. .. It says uncultured, it says my mum didn't raise me well. . .. . . .! Woowww, this is eye opening social ettiquette, senchu 😌

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try to respond to it as soon as possible.