Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Casting Away That Bag of Excuses





My plate was full of work, my wife was ill, the kids had examinations, the weather was not encouraging, plus a plethora of other excuses. It was the last thing I needed in that week – travelling away from home on a work assignment. For a few months this year, I had been working on an erstwhile exciting consultancy which now required that, once again, I take off a whole week in travel around the country to make further consultations.

Silent Soroti District, Eastern Uganda



While my bag of excuses was full to the brim, I was still caught between a rock and a hard place. If I didn’t do it now, postponement would come at a heavy cost whichever way I looked at it.
Consultation Session in Mbale
Therefore, the bag of excuses had to be sealed and damped away. Let us not forget that I am supposed to be a no excuse leader. That seemed like the easier part. You see, I was not really excited about the trip either. 

A little boy climbs up a rock. Would have loved to join in
I now had to deal with me – get my creative juicing working, psych up for the presentations and the Q and A sessions, as well as change my attitude about travelling itself.  I am supposed to see travel as a hobby after all. Moreover, as team leader, leadership means that often times, you need to do those things that you do not really want to do at the time you do them, but you do them anyway – and do them well.

Can you pronounce these names?

This signpost was facing away from the road probably due to strong winds. 

Gulu Town is bustling with activity. 

So, I chose to make the assignment a great trip for me. I would not allow my attitue or excuses take away teh shine of the trip from me. There are many who would have loved to be in my shoes.  They are either dead, disabled or unabled. Besides, we only get to live once (YOLO), so we may as well make the best out of this chance. So, when we set off, I got the music playing, my laptop working, my attitude updated and my peaceful state commanded. I kept updating my friends about what I was doing and where I was. Before long, one remarked that I was like the Jeremy Clarkson of  Top Gear . (Not the looks ofcourse)


I soon loved what I was doing. I looked forward to the next sign post and before long, the assignment was in the bag, I met old friends along the way, I enjoyed the meals and the conversation and before I knew it, I was back home to my loved ones, happy and surprisingly, refreshed.  So, bring it on -


Presentation time

Lesson learnt - Excuses and a bad attitude hinder the ability to perform and enjoy that which we ideally love to do. Beware to throw away both.

Some have excuses, others have results
- Moses Mukisa

3 comments:

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try to respond to it as soon as possible.