Tuesday, February 12, 2019

When you see greatness, fan it (Part 2)


When you see greatness, fan it (Part 2)

Per Daniel R. Ruhweza

... In the beginning, I thought it was such a punishment and inconvenience to do all this work. (Please note that we used to have house work and farm work in this time too). Nonetheless, there were benefits that we begun to enjoy- most importantly was having access to this huge world of books to read in addition to interfacing with the Senior boys from all over the campus that we would not have met quite easily elsewhere.  

With hindsight, I didn’t know that these opportunities were stretching me to become a better person in the end.  I am equally reminded of how I used to take my two younger siblings to a different school before heading off to my own school. The challenge was that public transport was difficult to access in those days.  Our country was recovering from a civil war and therefore few taxis plied the route from Makindye to Kampala Old Taxi Park and from the Old Taxi Park to Kitante Primary School. 


On several occasions, we had to literally fight with adults (often sneaking underneath them to get in before they did) to enter the taxis. I always aimed for the seat behind the driver because it was then possible to have both of my sisters ( who kept a comfortable distance away as we fought) sit on the Kememe ( a usually hot place because the engine of the vehicle was located there). My little siblings would then easily join me and we would be off to School. I was therefore unintentionally ushered into positions of responsibility and leadership.


Back at Mwiri, my experience in Senior One prepared me to become the leader I would later be in various spheres – at the dormitory (Waako House), the Student  Clubs – Boy Scouts, Wildlife, Red Cross, Scripture Union and others. I was so involved in this so much so that my class teacher – the late Mr. Bazibu – would then write in my report that I should make academic work my priority.  I was livid by that comment but later realised that he was right – I had taken on too much responsibility and although my academic work was alright, it would have been affected if he hadn’t intervened. 

Whilst it is true that we need to fan the greatness in an individual, it is also important to control the fires when they begin to roar otherwise, they can easily destroy the forest or those around them.  By limiting and refocusing my attention back to my books, Mr. Bazibu stepped on the brakes of my erstwhile roaring fire. I appreciate him. 

In the same vein, I applaud my mentors and those who saw the leader in me when I was still a young and naive adolescent. Miss Justine Luba ( class teacher Senior 1 b), Dr. Samuel Kirya Samuel ( Compound and Preps Prefect at the time), Mr. Samson Okhwayo ( Chapel and Library Prefect), Aguma Innocent (Wako House Junior Prefect, Joshua Mugabi (Scripture Union mentor), I thank you all.  It was a privilege and honour to know you when I did.

Senior Two presented a unique situation for me. I discovered that there were quite a lot of opportunities for me to engage outside the classroom.  That will be the subject of my subsequent blog ....




[1] Our water heating gadgets were clearly not safe for use. Often times the building circuit because of the “suicidal” overloading of the sockets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try to respond to it as soon as possible.