Saturday, March 20, 2010

FIRST THEY CAME

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

"First they came ..." is a popular poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group. Niemöller's first uttered it in a January 6, 1946 speech before representatives of the Confessing Church in Frankfurt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try to respond to it as soon as possible.