Thursday, February 09, 2023

The ANTHONY I Knew

 

I first met Anthony Wameli Yeboah in Busoga College Mwiri. I was his Junior Prefect in the Great Wako House and it is there that I first sensed his stubborn yet resilient nature. 


Anthony represented us in Sports and Games and I still recall him flying our light blue colours high. By the time I left Mwiri, Anthony was not yet the dedicated follower of our Lord Jesus Christ that we know today. Mwiri has this effect on you. One can never leave the same.


I believe Anthony joined us at Law School in Makerere as I was about to finish my course. He would then graduate, join the Judiciary and then leave it to become the passionate defence  counsel and human rights lawyer we have grown to know him to be. 


As President of Uganda Christian Lawyers Fraternity, I had tasked Anthony to lead the UCLF Sports Day activities because of his passion and love for soccer. (I  do recall that he had a football league for his church too). Whereas he was willing to lead the Sports activities, Anthony's defence work with the indigent and often shunned clients, his political engagements with NUP, and his pastoral Ministry at his church made it difficult to do. 


Like a true Mwirian, his big heart for service would later lead him to throw in his hat for the Presidency of the Uganda Law Society (ULS) as well as the Member of Parliament seat for Namisindwa Constituency. I do recall having a "good problem" of trying to do a "Camp David meet" so as to form a consensus with the other UCLF candidates Pheona Wall and Bernard Oundo who were also interested in the seat. The rest is now history. Good history too. 


I have known Anthony as a selfless and passionate lawyer. He has depicted the true Christian values   of _doing justice, loving mercy and walking humbly before the Lord._ Anthony also exemplified the truth in the Busoga College Mwiri logo of _Kulwa Katonda Negwangga lyaffe_ (For God and our country)


He has loved his wife and children and has fought the cancer with all he could. I recall watching him lead prayers via Zoom whilst based in the USA where he was receiving his treatment. He lost his fight but his spirit lives on. We remain victors in Christ. 


Today we mourn the passing on to Glory of our brother Anthony but my encouragement to his wife, the children, his law partner Turyamusiima Geoffrey and all those constituencies he cherished, is from *1 Thess 4:13-14*


_Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. 14We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him_ (1 Thess 4: 13-18)


May Anthony rest in Abraham's bosom until we meet again


_Daniel R Ruhweza PhD_

President MOBA

President Emeritus UCLF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try to respond to it as soon as possible.