Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Beware - the Culture of Honour

One day, whilst talking to a lady who mans a photocopying stall at the School of Law, Makerere University, i cracked a joke which made her say something to the effect that she didn't expect me to do that. She went ahead to say that she remembers me as a young innocent student who would hardly hurt a fly. Whereas this lady (we call her 'mulokole' meaning one who has given one's life to Christ) has probably forgotten this statement she made, it is amazing how, many years down the line, I still recall what she said. On another occasion, one of my former lecturers who now works in the judiciary reminded me of the time I was at the law School, Makerere University. My former lecturer then went ahead to narrate various instances in which we had interacted. This former lecturer has never hesitated to recommend me for various opportunities.

The above stories have reminded me of a recent instance where some of my students acted dishonourably. Whatever instigated their actions and behaviour, out of the abundance of their hearts, 'their mouths spoke'. Later on, as I reflecting on the occasion, I was reminded of how important it is to act honourably at all times. One is not able to tell when and where their actions will either promote or damage their future prospects.

During a recent meeting, someone made an unfortunate truth - according to them, however good one might be, one error or omission can damage them for life. Whereas it is true that we do forgive and are encouraged to forgive and forget, often times the world does not act or behave in this way. William Shakespeare, in Julius Caesar writes “The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones.”

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try to respond to it as soon as possible.