Monday, July 10, 2017

BEING UNDERSTOOD


At a recent crucial meeting, I found myself in a bit of a fix. I was trying to belabour a point which no one seemed to understand or even care to listen. On more than one occasion, I tried to explain my point. However, the others seemed not to get it. There was a desire to move on and to do what I believed was wrong. It was a hopeless situation as i watched us ride off a cliff on an erroneous position

However, out of the corner of my eye, another lady who had hitherto been ignored, raised her hand and explained my point in a way that made the rest of the team see the light that i was desperately trying to do. The level of relief I felt as the rest of the team ''finally got it'' is to be credited for this blog piece

So it is then - often times we are actually misunderstood. However, this is sometimes our fault because we might be using a language that is too complicated for the rest to comprehend, or an explanation that is to long-winded to be easily understood. I believe this was my shortcoming. Sometimes people are so set up in their ways that they don't have the patience to not only hear you out, but also to try to understand what you are saying or trying to communicate. In my case, i did feel that the former was true. I probably failed to communicate due to the complexity of what I was trying to say
              
The experience however has challenged me to be more patient with those who sometimes do not seem to understand the position one has held. It reminds me of an individual who tried to offer me a bribe in order for me to perform an illegality. This individual could not understand why i refused. In his book, he felt that it was not his lucky day. He probably was used to paying his way out of a situation regardless of the effect. With hindsight, I now realize that this gentleman knew no better. He had been conditioned to such a modus operandi that anything to the contrary didn't make sense to him. All my attempts to show him otherwise ( which lasted close to forty minutes) failed. However, now i understand. Sometimes people are not in the same frame of mind as one might be. As a result they are unable to understand what one is communicating because of the difference in 'wave lengths'/ 'world views'.

It is no wonder that in the book of Luke 23:34 NKJV, Our Lord Jesus cries out to His Father saying - Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.'' Jesus understood that his tormentors were like new born babes, unaware of the repercussions of their actions. 

My take home is therefore - be patient  and keep calm. Sometimes one doesn't see what you see or comprehend as you do.  What is your take?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try to respond to it as soon as possible.